Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Weight Reduction Questions

Several questions on reducing the weight of our gear for travel to Lukla. First of all, I'm assuming our outfitter will be supplying tents and that we won't need to be bringing them on flight. Correct? Also, are the restrictions on what we bring to Lukla strictly to do with weight (50 pounds?) For my Ecuador climbing trip, in addition to my pack, I brought a large Northface duffel. I had trouble fitting everything in the duffel that I wasn't carrying in pack though. I also have an XL Northface duffel. That's what I used on my previous Nepal trek but didn't know if I'd have problems with its dimensions on Lukla flight.

1 comment:

  1. I spoke with Jim recently about the weight restrictions. The weight on the Lukla flight is 15 kg with a charge of $1 per kg up to a total of 60 kg. 60 kg seems huge. The $1 per kilo is a good deal, considering we could pay waaaay more than that to lighten our gear. Below is part of an email from Donovan.

    "I just remembered something else. I wanted to let everyone know that the flight from Lukla to Kathmandu limits each person to 15 kilos / 33 pounds. This can be in one bag or in two. If you have additional weight, the airlines charge $1 USD per every additional Kilo. I suspect many of us have additional weight, and I wanted everyone to be aware of this charge. The max you can carry is 60 kilos. And yes, I triple confirmed the 15 kilos. I am not sure when it changed." Mark K

    ReplyDelete