Sunday, July 24, 2011

Satellite Phone

I''m considering the rental of a satellite phone for limited personal use during our trip.  It will likely be an Iridium 9555 that has the capacity to text (with a limit of 160 characters per text).  The phone rents for about $225 per month (covers the activation fee), calls are billed at $1.49 per minute, incoming texts are free, and outgoing texts are $0.50 each.  Supposedly, rental cell phones are available in Kathmandu that work in the Khumbu, but I like the freedom of not having to deal with searching for one during the limited time we have there.  The other benefit is that satellite phones work on Island Peak.  Is there any interest in sharing the $225 rental fee?  The per minute fees are adjustable, based on higher up front fees.  I don't think I have a need for the phone other than occasional brief use - I'm just seeing if there is any interest.  There are many other phones available, but I've used this one extensively.  Thoughts? Mark

Link to the phone . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment